Thursday, August 4, 2011

crocheting: the mystery skill


My sister-in-law crochets the most lovely big and little items: blankets and zipper pulls and skirts and bibs. Considering that I have knitted and sewn for decades, it makes no sense that crocheting remains a mystery to me, but mysterious it remains.

With our most recent baby she sent out two gifts: a blanket and a bib. The blanket was astounding in its sheer size. I mean I know how long it takes me to knit a scarf; how many hours have got to go into an entire crocheted blanket?

But it was the bib that really got me. During fourteen years of child rearing, we have pretty much tried every type of bib. You've got your short thin ones, of course, but also your long plastics and terry cloth mini-towels and full-body arm-holers, each with its own benefits and drawbacks. But a crocheted bib was entirely new territory for me. To be honest, I expected it to leak. After all, crocheting, by nature, creates a lot of holes. And yet the bib is seriously absorbent. She made it just long enough, just wide enough, and even added a little So Cute. Perfect.


My sister-in-law insists the whole process is also quick, easy, and cheap. Watching her in action I certainly have to admit she is quick and that she makes it look incredibly easy. She uses this pattern for bibs and buys cotton thread by the cone.

The So Cute is optional, but highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment