Thursday, February 17, 2011

on obsessions and such

Do you ever take a picture of something and then realize you've been taking the same picture for weeks? The lake, the playground, the kids on the couch. It seems that I find a good spot and just keep going back to it. This baby, for example. Post bath. Ohhhh, look how cute he is in that blue diaper on my white covers. So chubby, and look! a smile. And just like that, I've got ten more pictures that match the ten I took three days ago. And three days before that. And three days before that. All superb, mind you, but all oddly pretty much the same picture (give or take half a pound).

And just so, it seems, with shadows. I didn't realize I was quite so addicted to them until tonight. This afternoon the girls went outside to play and when I looked out the back window I saw this:


It didn't even occur to me to go outside and take a picture of the actual people -- no no, just their shadows. On its own one shadow picture isn't all that odd (right?). But as I was downloading pictures I started browsing backward and was startled to find a whole slew of shadow pictures. Like this one.


And this one.

And, well, this one.



Honestly, isn't this getting a bit obsessive?


I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.


But I'm pretty sure I can't be the only one. Right? (right?)

What are your obsessions? And should one parade them around like this?

1 comment:

  1. These are amazing photos. They're especially striking when grouped together like this. I love watching shadows, but for some reason always thought I had to include the source of the shadow in the photo if I took one. These are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete