Thursday, December 23, 2010

happy holidays!


We have tried over the years to make most of the presents for each other and the grandparents. When the older kids were little, we made ornaments to give. We traced their hands on a thick piece of veneer (mahogany, I think -- but don't quote me on that), cut them out with a scroll saw, sanded the edges, and finished them. We cut their names and the date with a dremel (which, by the way, is a good present in itself). Ten years later, it's amazing to see how much their little hands have grown.

2 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT! I was looking around for what i could make as Christmas gifts for family with my new Dremmel tool that I got for Christmas this year and my scroll saw (I got that as a Mother's Day gift a few years back). This is a stroke of GENIUS- can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. would you recommend a dremel (sp) for refinishing a dresser? i've got this old paint that needs to come off and i'm not sure what user-friendly tool i could get for it (for this non-mechanical girl).
    i love the hands. i'll add that to my collection of christmas ideas.

    ReplyDelete